Goals, resolutions, and intentions are all almost the same thing and something everyone does throughout the last week of 2018 and the first week of 2019. Instead of setting these for myself I am going to speak about key things I learned in 2018 and how I am going to implement them into my life in 2019. They all tend to fall under different categories, some professional, some personal and some relationship based. All set and in place to help myself lead a happier/healthier life this coming year.
- Giving too much time, energy and love to those that do not support me back. We have all been through this one. No matter if you are a blogger, or in high school, in college, a mom or even in a traditional work place. There will always be those people in our lives we want to befriend, make notice us, support us, think we are amazing, etc. I have harped on this one too much in 2018. Wondered why that cool girl at that one brunch didn’t think I was important enough to speak to, didn’t ask for my information, didn’t ask me any questions. Gone over and over in my head why someone I support within the blogging world does not follow us back, like our photos, comment on our stories, while we see them doing it everywhere else. This goes for every profession and something that I did all to often in college and then when I entered the work force at Macy’s for 3 years. I would allow someone else’s perception or lack there of, dictate how I saw myself. I put my confidence in THEIR hands. This year I am putting a stop to that. Confidence is top of my list this 2019 in growing, molding, and turning into a key part of who I am. Letting go of bad energy, people and opinions that do not keep on me on a constant high
2. It is okay to be selfish sometimes. Back when I was in college an ex-boyfriend of mine once called me the most selfish person he has ever met. For some reason and I do not know why, but that sentence in particular has really stuck with me. Sometimes those things do. I remember how he said it, where he said it, the tone of voice it was said in and I have carried that with me for years. I have almost over done trying to not be selfish over the past 4 years in order to prove some random afterthought wrong. This past year however, particularly this last part of the year, I have found myself overdoing it. Trying to please so many, do as much as I possibly can, spend time with everyone and be everywhere. I have let my body down and not given it the care that it needs. I am hoping this year to listen to myself more. Ask myself what I need more. Read more. Run more. Write more. Being there for myself when I need it.
3. Social Media *Cleanse*. I know this sounds redundant and just like so many others out there. However let me explain exactly what I mean by Social Media Cleanse. For starters Social Media is my job and there is no way in hell I could just drop off the grid because I need a 2019 detox. It is not possible and I will always be glued to my phone at times because it is how I make a living. However myself, others and YOU can dictate how we let social media make us feel. I begin every year by asking myself when scrolling through Instagram if there is a feed, person or account that makes me feel bad, less than about myself, or gives me an unwanted pit in my stomach. If so I press that magical unfollow button. You should never allow people on the internet to make you feel insecure or not like the amazing person that you are. If that person is a friend or someone you wouldn’t want to hurt feelings over, Instagram launched an amazing button called MUTE. That way you never have to see their posts or stories but are still technically following them. Finally, we always want you to know that if we make you feel this way on the internet, please unfollow us. That is not our intention in this space and we only want you to leave, happier, healthier or inspired.
4. Professionally: To Become A Better Writer. A few months back I was left with probably the meanest message someone has ever left. It was a comment on our blog about how I was an absolute awful writer. They didn’t understand why I blogged in the first place, told me to go take a writing class and to stop being a self centered b**** (which come to think of it maybe the comment was left by said ex boyfriend up there lol^) . For some reason this comment hurt me more than any other message I have ever been left. Which is saying something because once someone told me I looked like a crazy coke addict? (People can suck sometimes). I think this comment hurt because writing is something I LOVE. It makes me happy and gives me a sense of peace, especially when I am feeling anxious. It was like my safe place was tarnished and tainted by someone that was hiding behind a computer screen. However I took that piece of criticism and I decided to try and get better. Better at story telling and better at editing. However I do want you all to know that the way I write is extremely conversational. I am not blind to the fact that I have many grammatical errors, periods in the wrong places or misuse of prepositions. This is a blog and I want it to feel like I am talking with you and not talking at you. So there is only so much writing classes will do for me, however I am working on it!!
5. Personally & Professionally: Getting to spend more time with Kelly! As Kelly has fully transitioned over to the West Coast we really hope and are striving to bring you more of the two of us this year. Whether that be us visiting each other (NYC and LA) or going on different adventures together, we want to be together more not just for the blog but also for each other. Family is in so many ways the most important thing in each of our lives. When we go to long without seeing one another we can sometimes tend to feel lost. Putting that responsibility at the forefront is something that we are truly striving to do everyday & we hope you are all as well.
Thank you so much for reading and as always we wish you all the happiest new year, filled with so much love, happiness and joy. Love you <3
Emma martin says
Loved hearing what you’ve learned and how you plan to take the lessons and grow from them in 2019. I need to do some more of these myself… especially unfollowing/muting people who don’t make me feel like my most confident self lol. Confidence is something we all could use a bit more of. Happy new year!
Loved reading as always Court!
I actually LOVE your way of writing.