We wanted to put together a fun post of all the frequently asked questions we have received so they will always be here in a space to easily locate. If there is anything you want answered please ask below! 🙂
1 How do we know each other? We are cousins! Our moms are sisters. 🙂
2. Where did we go to college & what did we major in? Kelly went to Virginia Tech and majored in History. She was involved majorly in her acapella group Soulstice and was a member of Alpha Phi Sorority. Courtney went to Indiana University – Bloomington and majored in Apparel Merchandising with a minor in marketing. She was involved in the Retail Studies Org while in college and was a member of Gamma Phi Beta Sorority.
3. How old are we? Kelly is currently 26, she was born in 1992 and Courtney is 25 she was born in 1993.
4. How did you come up with the name Mimosas and Manhattan? Believe it or not we get this question ALL THE TIME. We first started this blog in the summer of 2013 when we were each interning in the city. We both weren’t getting paid and were underage. So when we got the chance to drink in general we hopped on that!! We discovered this amazing, magical thing called BOTTOMLESS BRUNCH and the rest was history. After annoying just about all of our family & friends with pictures on facebook we decided to start a website. When the name thing came around we were sitting @ one of our bottomless brunches on the Upper West Side and after a few too many mimosas came up with what we thought was the perfect name. Mimosas and Manhattan.
5. How do we juggle the blog and each work full time? For newcomers to this post – Courtney works in product development for Macy’s and Kelly works in Digital Marketing/PR for Small Girls PR. We have each always worked or been in school while juggling the blog. It hasn’t been easy. It can cause a lot of stress in our lives but looking back I couldn’t be more proud of us for doing it all. I think everyone should work for a company at some point in their life. It teaches you so many skills about learning to get along with other personalities, work life balance and overall leadership. So do not get stressed or feel like giving up because blogging isn’t your full time job. In the end you will be most proud of yourself for all the skills you have gained especially in the early stages of your life like your 20s. As for how we do it – my biggest piece of advice would be to believe in yourself, balance what makes you happy, if you haven’t written on your blog in 2 weeks but had amazing memories with friends/family – DO NOT STRESS. You are working your butt off. However you may have to get used to being a morning person.We take all of our photos before 7:30am as well as writing posts. Yes – we have to miss out events especially those during the day, but we have learned to make connections via email and post work.
6. Do we argue/fight? Rarely! We know the end goal and we are so supportive of each other and know that this blog would never be possible if we weren’t both involved in it. We are teammates and absolutely love that this continues to connect us throughout our entire lives. Its the best thing ever and we are so, so lucky!
7. What apps do you use for editing? We use the Tezza App to edit! We recently completely deleted VSCO. We will also use Adobe Lightroom and the Tezza & Ty French presets. Further we use Planoly to help plan out what we want our feed to look like. This is extremely important for duo bloggers because we are 2 separate people working under one name. Therefor we never want there to be too much Court or too much Kelly.
8. How did we grow a following? To put this all into context – we have had our Instagram account since 2014 and our website since 2013. A following will not happen overnight. When we started Instagram in 2014, blogging was not as saturated as it is now. We were able to jump right in and follow the hashtag #newblogger and find a community of girls that just started out that were super supportive. We did a ton of engaging in our first 2 years. Commenting on at least 50-100 profiles before bed to attract new audiences. When Courtney finally made the move to New York City we began going to events almost every night. We had no quote unquote blogger friends so wanted to get out there and network as much as possible. However my overall biggest piece of advice for growing a following would be GOOD CONTENT. Yes you can join a loop and gain 5k followers but they won’t stick around if they don’t like what they see.
10. Favorite event or memory from blogging? Our favorite memory from blogging would have to be #1 the friends we have made. We have such an awesome little circle of girlfriends that we wouldn’t change for the world. Some of the things that are unforgettable would have to be Emily of Lipstick Fever – Going Away Party, NYFW Baja East Show with Lex of Lexicon of Style and Victoria of Victoria Vanness. As well as the music festivals we have been able to attend – Gov Ball, Panorama, Pinknic. Too many amazing memories to even sum up but we want to thank all the amazing blogger gals out there that have accepted us and loved us for exactly who we are 🙂
SHOP THIS POST
Courtney is Wearing…
Kelly is Wearing